Friday, July 15, 2011

Lesson learned

I'm the type of person that can stress over the little things. Especially when it comes to bills, phone calls, insurance, etc. Well, over the past several months I have been trying to "adjust" this bill from Lily's old doctor's office, for $68.
The insurance company wouldn't pay it (this is from a year and a half ago), because it was considered a "pre-existing condition" which is a crock. Anyway, I knew that her old doctor was to blame because the first time we dealt with this specific issue, she forgot to write me the prescription in the first place! I swear she forgot or something, because I remember leaving that office over issues like that, and her general indifference towards me and my child.
Anyway, I'm not the type of person to just let things go very easily. Especially when it comes to money. My blood boiled over the fact that it would not be fair for me to pay for something that was a mistake on the doctor's part, really. Well, after several months of speaking to numerous people in the insurance company and the doctor's office, they would not relent or dismiss the bill, which is what I really wanted. I think I just got desperate because I pretty much was pleading with the office staff my case, but all seemed lost. Of course, once I threw in "who else can I write to or speak to about this", I dunno, but she said she'd talk to the doctor again and call me back.
By this point my heart was pounding and I was so angry! It may seem dumb, or like an insignificant amount to fuss over, but that really is a lot of money to me, and I felt so strongly that I should not have to pay for it. It was the principle of the matter! I knew I was right, and at this point it was my word against the doctor's.
It didn't look good for me so I envisioned every possible way I could make this office and doctor pay for their injustice! I guess I feel like if I'm going down, it will be kicking and screaming and I wanted to make someone PAY! (pardon the pun)

I sat down contemplating what I would say and how I could ruin the reputation of this doctor and what sob stories I could come up with to at least make the lady on the phone feel guilty. I wanted her to stay up late at night envisioning my poor child with no food to eat because she wouldn't discount the bill for me. (Which wouldn't be necessarily true..)
As I sat there fuming, my convictions started to pick at my head. I could feel my heart softening as I thought about how God would want me to respond in this situation. I remembered my "verse", about how he will take care of us no matter what, and thought about how I should trust him. How making someone pay for their mistake was not what God wants, he wants us to forgive others, even when they've wronged us. That we truly show love and Christ when we let things go, and it's not up to us to punish someone or be angry. It's truly a sin when we are angry and distrustful of our situations, since we are supposed to trust him to take care of us.
Well, at this point at least I started to feel better. I knew I shouldn't be angry and I had to let this go one way or another, and God would provide everything so I shouldn't worry about the money either.
Then, no joke, the phone rings. I'm talkin' like a minute after my revelation! With my heart pounding I said "hello" with a shaky voice. The lady informs me that she spoke with the doctor and she said to not worry about the bill, it's been taken care of! What?! After all that stress and arguing (and I mean, there was a lot of that on the phone), it's just gone. I didn't owe anything! Of course, I pretty much started balling on the spot and I said thank you so much and we hung up the phone. It was hard to control my emotions, they were a roller coaster at this point. I mean, from blood pressure sky rocketing and being so angry, to now sobbing on the couch, I was so thankful! It was so funny (ironic funny, not really haha funny) how just after it seemed that I finally learned my lesson from God, (which I am in a constant state of still learning), that I see how he truly provides all our needs and works for the good for those who love Him.

1 comment:

  1. He does provide, always, but it is hard at times to see His hand, the world is too busy and noisy around us. Always trust His heart. I do have to hide in the quietness somewhere and listen to His word. He is always here in the midst of our noisy lives. "For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God - Col 3:3". At all times we are in the palm of His hand. Nothing can harm us more than what He allows. In the end there is a purpose for every tear or hurt. One day when the veil will be pulled away and we will see the beauty of His presence will understand the road that we traveled, till then, trust His heart.

    ReplyDelete